Spots & Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed a one way switch to a dimmer - no probs; but when I changed the lounge pendent to a 4 x 50w spots - the dimmer was killed.

The set up is:

Dimmer - one way - 2 reds only 400w load (250w for GU10 spots)
Ceiling Rose 1 red, 2 blacks, 3 yellow/greens
Existing pendent L, N, E (L connected to Red, N connected to 2 blacks and E connected to the 3 yellow/greens)
New Spots L, N, E

I connected these EXACTLY as the existing connection. When I hit the switch, it popped.

I then re-connected everything again 3 times - nothing. Then replaced the existing pendent - nothing, then replaced the dimmer - it worked.

My question is, could one of the blacks be live, if so, why does it work with the one-way switch? I didn't think that a live and neutral could touch; or could the dimmer have been faulty to begin with (although it worked after I installed it with the pendent), but not with the spots.

I am perplexed by this...

Sponsored Links
Usually the black from switch to ceiling is the odd one out, and is actually the switched live - try reference section - in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. However, then I'd expect the lamps to be between the two blacks, and the 2 reds to conncet to each other but nothing else. (red+black one is live and neutral from supply to ceiling) Red+black 2 is live from ceieling to switch, and swithced (live when on) returning from switch to live side of lamp.
Could it be this, or a variation on the theme?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back