Spring is in the air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's time to get out in the garden. Mrs B has suggested extending the patio so that she doesn't get wet feet getting to the washing line. This means having to match into an existing patio, the main problem has been finding the right slabs. Eventually I found the original supplier (locally made) who provided them for the development I live on.

I'm indebted to masona for his link to paving-experts which has reduced the fear factor on this particular job - it's got to look good!

If it all works well I'll post a picture here. If not it will appear under DIY Disasters!

It's going to take a couple of weekends though, providing the weather holds, and I've got to have it finished before Easter weekend. Could be a few nights on this one too. :)

Sponsored Links
Being from the old school of hammer and chisel/bolster, I thought as I only had a few slabs to cut that I would be able to achieve this quite happily. Not so. After an hour of delicate chipping I had got a blister on one hand, a pile of rubble and a cracked slab.

Off down to the local hire shop. Hire one diamond disc cutter for half a day. I found that time has moved on since my days in the concrete industry. This thing went through slabs like a hot knife through butter. Marvellous! End result, all slabs cut exactly to size where required. :D

Sunday, laid the slabs. Next step, mortar the joints. Just started when the heavens opened - a shower I might have got away with, but this one lasted an hour. End result, dig out all the joints and re-point.

Motto - always check the weather forecast. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back