Spur in a Partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have stud and plasterboard internal walls on a suspended timber ground floor and the original builders powerpoints are on metal boxes fixed to a wooden back mounting.

Wanting to add a spur to an extra double socket so would be using a dry lining box.

However its how the existing and new sockets should be wired together to comply with the Safe Zones etc ?

If they were just 2 or 3" apart I would assume (?) I could just do a direct wire from one to the other , horizontally within the stud wall, or must it be dropped down under the floor and up again to the new socket ?

If I can run horizontally within the stud wall, is there a maximum distance between the two sockets before I must drop the wire under the floor ? ( limited to about 2ft between studs)

Also if the other side of the wall has a power socket can I spur off that to a new socket on this side of the wall and again can it be a direct link rather than unde the floor?

While have looked at the Safe Zone diagrams etc, there seems little about partiton walls where sockets are not mutually aligned, so wonder if any extra protection is needed behind the dry lining box ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
If they were just 2 or 3" apart I would assume (?) I could just do a direct wire from one to the other , horizontally within the stud wall,
Yes.
or must it be dropped down under the floor and up again to the new socket ?
No.

If I can run horizontally within the stud wall, is there a maximum distance between the two sockets before I must drop the wire under the floor ? ( limited to about 2ft between studs)
No.

Also if the other side of the wall has a power socket can I spur off that to a new socket on this side of the wall and again can it be a direct link rather than under the floor?
Yes.

While have looked at the Safe Zone diagrams etc, there seems little about partiton walls where sockets are not mutually aligned, so wonder if any extra protection is needed behind the dry lining box ?
The cable must be vertically or horizontally in line with the relevant one of them.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls
See part about walls upto 100mm. thick with access to both sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back