Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 1 x 13a Double socket in my store room connected to a 16amp MCB in the consumer box. This is the only socket on that circuit. Can I run a spur of that socket in the same room?

Sponsored Links
Provided the cable is the correct size and the circuit has an RCD in addition to the 16A MCB, then yes. (Cable will almost certainly be 2.5mm)
Could add one in another room as well. Or another 50.

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is yes. :)

But! Why do you ask?

Why do you call it a circuit? (Is it a radial or a ring?)

What are you planning to plug in to the new socket?

The more info the better

edit: just ignore the 'banter'

Thanks. you have taken the weight of me. The consumer box is only 6 months old and has 2 RCD's 1 is attached to that circuit. I have put 2.5mm ring main cable to the new socket. its only 18" from the consumer box. and I could make it a ring. but I understand I need a part P sparks to come and do it. I got a quote of £200 to change the 16A to a 32A and connect 18" of cable. considering the sparks who put in the box only charged £200 to do that. So I thought this was the easy approach and the cheapest as I don't think I needed a sparks to do this. Many Many Thanks.

Hoover. in summer a Lawn mower. Just normal run of the mill daily stuff. Nothing heavy. nothing permanently. its only in a store room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back