staggering laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
First post for me on here though I have gained plenty of useful advice from reading others :)
I am about to start laying laminate flooring in my bedroom atm and can't decide on how to stagger the planks. This is the laminate I am using:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/laminate-flooring-shire-oak-effect/invt/157947/

Its a single plank design with bevelled edges, to "create that real wood effect" :p Basically the edges for the boards are supposed to be seen in the finished floor. Now according to the instructions that come with the boards, I should use the off cut from the end of one run to start the next, which would create a diagonal stagger pattern. My first thought would be that a "H" pattern would look best and this is what they seem to use in the sample pictures on the wickes site (contrary to the instructions :evil: ) and also against most advice on laying laminate flooring I have read on other websites but I think that perhaps they are referring to laminate boards with flush edges so that the joints are best hidden when you look at the complete floor.

Any suggestions on what way to go? Other thing is that a "H" pattern has alot more waste as I have to use 1 board on each end of the one strip.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Follow the instruction on the packaging, start you next row with the cut off and continue to do so, unless you get aligned joints. Then cut planks to avoid this.
It will be also advisable to clip a column (planks width) straight across the room as a temporary guide, just so you know your not going to end up with a sliver of a cut on the last row.
Could be worth removing any radiators as you can the drill hole for tails and pop the plank over them, give a little tolerance in the hole though, you will need some play.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back