Stain for Oak window frames and doors (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’m looking for advice please. Our oak doors and windows need repainting but I am struggling to find a match to the original paint used. It looks like a lacquer spray paint of some sort. It’s peeling and feels like plastic. Closest is Sadolin but it’s not close enough. I would prefer a company to repair them but no one seems interested.

Attachments

• IMG_5563.jpeg
    IMG_5563.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Sorry, but it looks like you need to sand away all of the finish and start from new.

The existing finish has done a pretty good job of protecting the timber from turning grey but if you try to sand back the grey areas (back to the original colour), you will cut through the existing finish.

How old are the doors?

They are 11 years old. Some areas are quite grey. Was looking to keep the light oak colour to match the inside but struggling to find something similar.

It is probably, or rather, possibly, the case that the over-all colour had become lighter as time has gone on.

I suspect that if you sand one of the grey areas, the natural colour will not match the colour of the surrounding finish.

Sorry- clear coat are not very good at protecting the original colour- they let too much UV light though. Darker stains are more able to absorb the energy from UV light.

Sponsored Links
It’s painted with an oak coloured lacquer/paint which I’m trying to match. Sadolin is similar but it’s more of an oak coloured paint. It hasn’t faded as the inside is exactly the same colour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back