Stairs Angles

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I am hoping to put a moulding around my stairs.

How do I work out the angles highlighted in the picture?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240330_111226.jpg
    20240330_111226.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Place edge of paper to stairs and fold to form angle , use as template .
(On stairs angle will typically be just shy of 45degrees)

Sponsored Links
You could use trigonometry.

Use a set square against the newel post, draw a pencil line until it hits the end of the stair string and measure the length of the line. In the image, measure the lengths of the red and the green lines.

stair.jpg

To calculate angle number one, use a website such as the following

In the website, enter the length of red as "b", enter green as "a", then hit return- all you need is those two dimensions. In my image, the angle you seek will be listed as "β"

By using a set square, you have created a right angle triangle. That means that the angle between the red and green lines is 90 degrees. The total of all three angles in a triangle equates to 180 degrees. We know that one by definition is 90 degrees, that means that the other two combined equal 90 degrees.

The great thing about trigonometry is that so long as one angle is 90 degrees, you only need two further dimensions to calculate all of the other dimensions.

Sorry, the above is not intended to be condescending. I have no idea if you remember trig from school. Hopefully it will help others that have forgotten it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back