STAIRS - LARGE SANDING PROJECT. HIRE OR BUY EQUIPMENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I am due to undertake a large project on the stairs. Currently these are stained/varnished wood, some natural hardwood.

Looking around the house, I can’t see any other sanding jobs that can’t be done by my gop or hand electric sander.

As the stairs are so much bigger I wonder
1. Is it worth hiring a large scale professional tool
2. Is there anything I might be overlooking
3. Is it a legitmate excuse to buy another tool (after all I AM MAN)

The end project is seeing these
1. closed at the back (open tred)
2. Low voltage lights put in the sides (see other post (LINK TO BE ADDED WHEN DONE))
3. Painted White
4. At the back of the stair, this will be tongue and groove boarded and also provide space for wires

Any pointers, advice, or previous experience on this type of job greatly recived.

Q

Sponsored Links
Doubt you will have room for anything bigger than a small belt sander on stairs.
Simpler/quicker and cleaner to burn off paint with heat gun.

They are stained/varnished. I want to get rid of this to paint them.

Q

Sponsored Links
You can rub down and paint, no need to remove varnish.

I thought a varnish/stain just wont let paint key in well?

So I don't need to go down to unfinished wood? Would I need to put a decent primer down beforehand?

If thats the case, it might take longer, but I coudl just use my current tool and spend money saved on multiple sanding pads!

Q

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back