STAIRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL: I need some advice on stairs!

I am currently in the process of buying a new home (a 60s detached house). The decor inside is still the orginal 60`s and includes a staircase with open tread stairs.
I am looking to close this off at the back of each stair ie close the gaps at the back of each stair.
Can anybody let me know how easy this would be to do? Can I do it myself or should a proper builder do it??? any tips??

thanks and I look forward to hearing.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
I had the opposite, just bought a house (built 1979) with a lovely open back staircase that the previous owners had closed off, all they had done was to nail individual pieces of timber at the back of the treads to make it appear like the stairs were closed, I carefully removed them, sanded the stairs down and they look wonderful. I imagine if you reverse my process you should be ok (as long as you can get to the back of the stairs of course. Anyway its definately DIYable so give it a go..........TIP: If you do nail always flatten the end of the nail with a light tap of the happer, this rids the sharp point and stops the timber splitting when you drive the nail home ;)

Good luck......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back