Started Knocking Down Cupboard Wall...Is It Load-Bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a 3-bed semi detached 1960s house. There is a built-in cupboard in a bedroom on the neighbouring wall. It sits between the chimney breast and a wall that neighbours another bedroom. This is how it looked before I started any work:

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 17.46.21.png

I removed the door and frame which opened up the space, but it left an awkward, small wall on the right side which is made from breeze blocks. I checked with a couple of tradies who happened to be round and they thought they were non-structural, non-load-bearing and could be knocked out. I also had a builder round who took a look and said the same. Up in the loft the joists run perpendicular to the little wall, but nothing is resting on the breezeblocks.

Based on this, I cautiously started chiselling away and removing the wall from the top down. Straight away it was obvious the breeze blocks were not supporting anything at the top, and the mortar was just butting up against the plasterboard above it - great I thought. First couple of blocks came down fine and revealed the brickwork behind them. Then after about the 3rd breezeblock, it noticed a hole in the brickwork behind it, seemingly filled partly with mortar. It also seems that the breezeblocks are now further into the wall and not butting up against the brick behind it if that makes sense.

My question is, should I continue? What is holding up the brick work if there is a hole in row? Is the breezeblock wall acting as a support to the brick wall even though it wasn't directly supporting anything on the top?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

PXL_20230219_171442950.jpg

PXL_20230219_171603155.jpg

PXL_20230219_171612632.jpg

PXL_20230219_171621444.jpg

PXL_20230219_171639522.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like it is just pegged into the wall for stability.
Two things you can do. Cut the breeze blocks flush where they are pegged into the wall. Remove the blocks from the wall and infill with standard bricks. It is NOT a supporting wall in the sense that it is holding anything up. i.e. supporting a wall above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back