Starting your own business and how?

hiya mate, dont know how ur getting on with your business but im in the same boat and thinkin bout settin up myself (plumber) How is things going with getting work and stuff as im a bit anxious bout goin it alone?

You guys should get together ( I don`t know Scotland - you might be miles apart :oops: ) Seriously - a plumber and roofer. Leadwork and Draining/clearing blockages. .A good combination - The very best of luck to you ;)

Sponsored Links
Hate to rain on your parade mate and call me a cynical old f@rt if you like but if I were you I'd be trying to get into a good company with long term prospect for promotion, salary, pension etc etc . Something like college lecturing or one of the really big building firms down south.

Self-employment is ok for a young guy but it's a long slog and unless you intend to employ loads of employees not very well paid for the stress, hours and time you invest in it.

I've been on my own now for about 20 years and it gets more difficult every year trying to keep it all together.

There are some benefits such as doing your own thing and picking and choosing your work but there are an awful lot of negatives such as no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension, no sickies even if you are sick and the ever constant threat of a tax investigation & etc etc.

Best of luck.

some very wise advice.
like tony i have been out there for near on 21 years and the last 2 have been the worst i can recall.
it is picking up a little round here but very slowly
do not spend stupid amounts on glossy adverts on this that and the other sites/books etc they do not really work that well
a plain and simple A5 leaflet in clear text (colour if you can run to it) will bring in results for months after you put them out.
don't pay a local distributor or paper to deliver them you will get less response than if you do it yourself or get a young un to do it for some pay.
fold them in half so that they are easy to put through letterboxes (with the writing on the outside) this is the way to get the customer to part read it before binning it!
have a couple of boards made up that you can leave for a few days at customers houses (in return offer a small discount say 5- 8% off)

Sponsored Links
Back