steel framed house..loft hatch/ladder kit wont fit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a house which is steel framed ..as i want to fit a loft hatch/ladder kit currently on offer at wickes at a bargain £99.99 (normally £150)approx, i find i cant fit 1 on the landing at present as the length of the wickes hatch frame is over 1100mm.. and the width of the steel beams in the loft are approx 600mm! the only way we could make it fit is to cut out a section of the steel beam in the loft & resucure it either side with steel rod strengtheners same as what currently secures every steel beam in the loft..as i know a welder who could carry this work out for me...have any of you experts come accross this before & had a better idea solution ? + how would fare with the structural survey etc would i have a big problem if ever come to rent/sell the house ? just hope there is a solution as would really like to fit a proper loft ladder kit rather than a smaller loft hatch & poxy ladders :( cheers again guys

Sponsored Links
My thoughts, and I feel in a sarcastic mood tonight:

Are you serious? You want to re-arrange the steel structure in order to save £50 on a loft ladder?
In a few months/years time when you're selling the house and the surveyor hasn't a clue on what you've done, he/she flags it up as point worthy of more investigation.

ps, I am just a DIYer.

If it were timber we'd suggest the very same thing you propose without a second thought. Your house, your choice.
What size are the steel beams?

no no redherring i dont think you have grasped my plans like the other post has :LOL: let me repeat..." i would really like to fit a proper loft ladder kit rather than a smaller loft hatch & poxy ladders" lol..+ i have had solid advice from a surveyor friend who agrees with my proposals to resecure the steel joists/beams & says it wont be a problem short or long term as its getting done properly..the £50 saving is merely an added bonus not a major decision making motive as you are making out :eek:

Sponsored Links
If its a classic 1950s Trusteel style of house then i would avoid cutting any of the roof members and start thinking about moving to a different property..

Unless the house has been very well maintained then any structural alterations could have some serious knock on effects elsewhere..

yeah will get pro advice before carry out this task or not thats for sure :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back