Steel lintel fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting a steel lintel fitting to a load bearing internal wall to open up the Kitchen into the dining room. I have been told that I must get a structural engineer to design a suitable load bearing beam. Anyone in the Selby North Yorks area that can do this, or alternatively will a good builder be okay to do the job

Regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
Who told you to get an engineer? Was it building control? If it wasn't, have a chat with them and ask to speak to someone who deals with your area, they're usually a helpful bunch, they may even pop out for a visit. All BC's vary with what they require some will insist on calcs others won't, depends on the span and whats above. If it was building control then you will need to have calcs done. A good builder would be able to help you out if its not an extreme opening etc. just run his plans through BC before he takes the wall down. Likewise if an engineer's involved, again, BC would probably be able to give you the name of a one man band type fella, alternatively friend or family recommendations are a good bet. By the way, whats the opening width?

I've just had exactly the same work done. Both building control and the builder told me that if they put in a beam that is obviously oversized for the job then calcs are unlikely to be needed. Every situation is different though and your building control may tell you otherwise. It depends on the loads the beam is going to carry. Mine was a 4 floor joists and a small upper wall so the load obviously isn't huge.

It's also possible to have them done retrospectively to prove to building control that the beam is adequate if they have any doubts. Just check the yellow pages for structural engineers in your area. I had a quote for £75.

You are all raving mad :eek:

Sorry but I disagree with all of you. A structural supporting wall requires the attention of an engineer so removal and support can be carried out correctly. In this way if the beam fails it is the engineer that is responsible to rectify the problem.

With Engineer

Engineer to do the calcs and spec
Notify building control of the work - building notice
Reputable builder to do the job
Inspection and pass off by building control
Make good job
Able to sell house in the future

Without engineer

Job done by reputable builder
Job not passed off
Go to sell house with no proof/document from local authority to confirm the job complies to regs
House info pack missing essential documents
Agency demands the beam is opened up for inspection!
Loads of unnecessary expense :(

Sponsored Links

Sorry but I disagree with all of you. A structural supporting wall requires the attention of an engineer so removal and support can be carried out correctly. In this way if the beam fails it is the engineer that is responsible to rectify the problem.

With Engineer

Make good job

Without engineer

Job not passed off
Go to sell house with no proof/document from local authority to confirm the job complies to regs

You don't seem to have read any of the above. In fact you don't seem to have much experience of the real world either. :rolleyes:

Well at least I make sure the job is done correctly!

"OOH lets put in an over spec beam that should do it" Over spec to what and on what do you base this surely this must be some sort of calculation. All I can say is im glad you are not doing any work on my house. God help us :eek:

alpcon, if a 152x89mm x16kg beam is specified to deal with a load and span that is acceptable by building control engineers, then it is sensible to assume that a similar scenario, using a stronger steel section is going to be more than man enough to do the job.

like for like that is.

AH' the men in suits love em or hate them. I try to use catnics were ever possible pricey yes, but lightweight & a lot easier to install & dress. no probs with calcs

Thanks noseall

In principle I agree with you but you and I both know that the loads specified for these beams are for ideal conditions and when have you and I ever come acrosss these :cry:

There are always other factors of load/structure to take into account. I was just concerned over the direction this thread was heading in :eek: and I also took great offence at the comment from freddie watsits twin no experience of life!!!!! at least i've got one :D

If it was building control then you will need to have calcs done. A good builder would be able to help you out if its not an extreme opening etc. just run his plans through BC before he takes the wall down.

Where did I say don't get it done correctly?

I also took great offence at the comment from freddie watsits twin

You'll need thicker skin if you wanna post on here alpcon :D

Went out and bought some thicker skin from Jewson yesterday.

As the big man says "I`ll be back" :D

With Engineer

Make good job

Without engineer

Job not passed off

You don't seem to have read any of the above. In fact you don't seem to have much experience of the real world either. :rolleyes:

thats way over the top, nearly all building inspectors and engineers i deal with are text book taught experience is what counts, paranoia is a terrible thing

So who defines the fine line between paranoia and justifiable? Ask an Engineer (myself included) to design something, and it will be designed. The codes state what has to be taken into consideration.

The end result may be 'over-engineered', but that's the way the codes work. If something is to be 'bespoke' designed, i.e. from first principles to prove that the actual stresses are reasonable and the codes can be ignored, expect the associated costs. Our insurance requires us to adhere to the rules or justify ourselves by other means.

I agree that 'text-book' doesn't always get the answer you want, but to quote the Stones - "You can't always get what you want". We always warn people that we may not tell them what they want to hear. If they decide to spend the money on us to do the calculations, then that's their choice.

Vote with your cash - but be warned, if you ask for it to be designed, then that's what you'll get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back