Stereo not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a '95 Nissan Sunny off of my parents, as they've bought themselves a new car. The stereo [factory fitted one] hasn't worked for years so I went and bought a new Sony stereo. I fitted it and this didn't work either. I changed the wires around with regards to the constant and switched power supply but still nothing. I then looked in the fuse box and noticed that one of the fuses was missing. I re-fitted this and the car alarm went off but the stereo came on. It was not a factory fitted alarm but one fitted by the previous owners to my parents. It is by Foxguard and would just operate the central locking and make a sound if the alarm was triggered but no immobilising as far as I am aware. The alarm started playing up and just activating the central locking as they were driving. Their garage said the simple thing was to remove the fuse so they did. This would seem to be why the stereo doesn't work [also the dashboard clock stopped and the interior light didn't work].

I was going to try and deactivate the alarm so I could put the fuse in the box and have the use of a stereo but can't find any instructions online for the Foxguard. I also have no idea where it has been put in the car. Is there a way I can change the stereo to a different fuse or is the only way to remove the alarm?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to get this done on Sunday as need to go on a long trip next week and need some music. :)

Sponsored Links
I think its probably best just to remove the existing alarm system - they are usually fitted under the bonnet on a bulkhead somewhere, and easy enough to disconnect. You'll also find its live supply and you can use this to provide a permanent live for the new stereo.
Disconnecting the Foxguard and replacing the fuse should allow the existing radio wiring to come alive again.
If you arent keen on that, then you can pick up a live supply from the fusebox or even the battery direct if you wish, so long as you put another 3 amp fuse as near as possible to the connection.
John :)

I have now found the Fox guard unit and all of the wires head back inside the car to the dashboard somewhere. Is it as straightforward as just cutting the wires or do I need to individually disconnect each wire?

Sponsored Links
Test all of the wires for a live supply - with the ignition both off and on....you don't want any loose lives hanging around. The others will go to the door lamp switches, central locking and headlamps or indicators.
Preferably I'd like to trace all of the wires back, but in real life its not really necessary.

I traced the wires back and it is all disconnected. Alarm is no longer going off. :D

Only thing now is stereo won't stay on without keys in the ignition. Need to find a live.

Any recommendation of what other live source to use?

Its really a case of just hunting around for any part of the circuit that has a permanent live - i.e directly from the battery (which you can use, so long as you incorporate a fuse in the wire).
Typical sources are the clock, fag lighter, interior lamp switches etc - but I would have thought with the missing fuse reinstated, the existing stereo connections would give you what you need.....you need a permanent live for the sets memory, and ideally a switched live for the set to be used. You can use a permanent live on both connections, but this would mean the set would play without the ignition on.

All done. I have music and no mental alarm going off of it's own accord. :D

Thanks again for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Back