sterilising old hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to complete the purchase of a property with a traditional open vent / copper cylinder hot water system. The property has been vacant for at least nine months and I am slightly concerned that in that time the HW system may have become a breeding ground for all sorts of stuff!

Would it be sensible to try to sanitise the system or am I worrying unnecessarily? I thought about draining it down, flushing through a few times, adding a couple of bottles of Milton or similar and letting it sit for a few hours before flushing a few times more. Then crank up the cylinder stat to well and truly cook anything that might have survived.

Is this wasting my time? Is Milton likely to do any damage to the cylinder? Or is there a proper technique?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
No need. Put the thermostat up to 75-80 (put it back to 60-65 afterwards, as 1) the higher temperature is dangerous and impractical for everyday use, and 2) if you're in a hard water area scale will precipitate beyond 65 and bugger up your cylinder), leave the system running for 24 hours or so, and flush it through well a couple of times.

Water at 80 degrees for an ongoing period will kill everything Milton or Dettol can, and probably a bit more. It's when a system is run practically tepid at 50 degrees that you can get nasties, worse case scenario being something like legionnaires disease.

Last edited:
Thankyou. Thought I was perhaps being over cautious. Will give the thing a good scalding hot overnight soak and flush through the stale water a couple of times, just because I don't fancy using stuff that's been sitting around for the best part of a year! This is assuming the system actually worked after so long sitting idle...

From your description I think you also have a cold water cistern, either in the loft or on top of the cylinder. This is where the dirt and contamination will be. If there is no lid, buy one before you start. You will also need an insulating jacket, which you can fit after you have finished cleaning.

Run the COLD bath tap, which will flush the dirty water through without taking dirt into the hot cylinder. While it runs you can brush the sides and bottom with a soft brush to dislodge old dust, sediment and dead spiders (if it is gritty or has visible wildlife or limescale flakes in it, remove what you can with a sieve, then drain it and sponge out the dirt)

then tie up the ball cock and scrub the inside, and the lid, and the ballcock, with an ordinary household detergent, sponge out the dirt and detergent into a bucket, then rinse it through and let the water run out of the COLD bath tap.

In some districts the cold bath taps are fed direct from the watermain so this will not work.

If you use the hot tap, the dirt and detergent will lodge in the cylinder and take a long time to dilute and wash away.

Having removed the dirt, you can sterilise it if you want. Dirt and organic material neutralise disinfectants so you need to use more of them, but a clean vessel is easy.

Only use the hot tap when you think you have got all the dirt and cleaning material out.

Don't clean your teeth in it until you're sure it's clean, and you have fitted the lid.

If there have been rodents in the loft, and the tank does not have a close-fitting lid, it could be grossly contaminated.

One trick is to add a squirt of Washing-Up Liquid in the final fill, and rinse it through until the tapwater no longer makes bubbles. This is a visual warning and reminder that it needs more flushing through but the WUL itself will not hurt you if you wash your hands or bath in it. If you use Milton, the bleachy smell will do the same.

I used bleach tablets in an old tank, stirring them in and leaving them a few weeks till my next visit, and was pleased that they caused the old limescale to break up and wash away. The remnants washed out of the bath tap, but there is a risk grit or other material will collect in the pipes or block the taps. Fortunately old bath taps have quite big waterways and are difficult to clog, but easy to dismantle if necessary. Some have plastic aerating or water-saving filters in the nozzles that you can unscrew and wash out.

As wundaboy says, the heat in a HW cylinder, maintained for a few hours, will pasteurise it and kill most microorganisms. An insulating jacket on the cylinder and hot pipes will help keep it at a high temperature without wasting energy.

Sponsored Links
The header tank is in the loft. I have not yet had an opportunity to inspect it but will certainly do so the day we get the keys. If it's sludgy I'll do as you suggest via the cold bath tap or syphon it empty, might be able to suck a fair amount of crud off the bottom with the end of a hose. Cleaning these tanks before I found a wet and dry vacuum handy for sucking up sludge. I suspect the tank will be old, in which case if it does not have a lid would something like a piece of cellotex be suitable, weighted with a brick or two as a temporary measure? I assume plywood is out of the question due to possible rot. We will ultimately be replacing everything likely with a megaflow type mains pressure cylinder, but will be using whatever exists until funds allow.

I had very smelly hot water - noticed it in the shower at first. We're in a glis glis area (Google will help) and my fear is always an infestation in the roofspace. Previously I had fished three rotting bodies from the heating header tank, so there was precedent prior to our arrival. Long story short: One fairly un decomposed body of a glis glis removed from otherwise none-too bad cistern. It is mounted on a platform raised above the loft floor and the cover cannot be removed due to close proximity to roof rafters. No idea how the plumber managed to fit it! HW overflow through hole in lid making it impossible to slide the cover off, and also cannot lift the shepherd's crook of said overflow from its hole in the lid.

I could not possibly reach in to clean the cistern without disconnecting various pipes and somehow manoeuvring the tank off its pedestal. So I drained the cold tank, poured a bottle of Tesco's finest bleach in to the nearly empty tank and then squirted a good measure of washing-up liquid in as a marker (thanks for the tip JohnD). That done, I opened the mains riser and refilled the cold tank. Next, I turned the boiler off and ran hot water until the supply was cold. I'm now sitting awaiting the completion of refilling the system prior to putting the boiler back on.

As JohnD said, the water comes out bubbly at the moment but I shall allow natural water use to finish the flushing on the assumption that the bleach is very dilute now, and the washing up liquid won't hurt anyone. I hope that the bleach will have neutralised effluent from the unfortunate drowned rodent as it was poured into a drained cistern with a mere ten or so millimetres of water remaining - therefore quite strong at that point.

Further reports as and when the shower returns to being 'Kosher' :giggle:

My bête noire :-
glis-glis-opt.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back