stop cock questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sometime over the past year our water pressure has increased dramatically, and one thing I've noticed is that my kitchen stop cock no longer stops the cold water flow completely, it still trickles out of all taps when turned off. It definately stopped it completely this time last year.

Is this a sign of a knackered stop cock, or does it need to be "adjusted" somehow to cope with the increase in pressure?

Also, the stop cock tap can turn about 10 revolutions in total, but it only needs about 1/10th of a revolution to go from what should be off, to full pressure. Is this normal?

And finally, because of this I thought I better investigate the mains stop cock on the driveway, so I lifted the flap for the first ever time today. It's full of water thanks to all the heavy rain, but there is a handle protruding above the water. I tried to turn the handle (both directions) and it's not budging.

Should I be turning clockwise/anticlockwise? Could do with knowing this before my efforts to loosen it actually tighten it!

Sponsored Links
Stopcocks turn clockwise off, unless its a Company main whereas it is anti-clockwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back