Stop Silicone Sealant from sticking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might sound like a silly question but....
I have a bath panel which meets a tiled wall. The tiles are cut to curve around the shape of the bath panel, but aren't particularly neat.

I'd therefore like to silcone between the bath panel (vertical edge at end of bath) and the tiles, whilst still allowing the panel to be removed.
So I'd like the silicone to stick to the bath panel but not to the tiles, whilst still being shaped to look like it is sealed.

I first thought of putting masking tape down, but suspect this would stick and get messy to remove. Then I wondered about some sort of grease on the tiles which could be wiped of once the sealant dried?

Is this a common problem or am I stuck with cutting the sealant out with a knife if I want to remove the bath panel?

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
How often do you think you will need to remove the panel. My guess rarely if ever, so be prepared to cut the silicone. If youthink it will need regular removal, then I think you masking tape idea is as good as any.

hmmm , id try n find some tiles too match and retile beyond the panel ; u may have to retrim the panel; but hey ull do the job right as it should have been done in the fist place.
if ur tiles r new ish ull find the ones to match just look.

i always leave access to the bath as easy as poss, so the flusher the fit of the panel to tile the less gunk ' silicone' the better, unibond is not bad as a silicone.

Sponsored Links
"id try n find some tiles too match and retile beyond the panel "

No can do - the tiles are quite thick and the panel will not fit in place. I have to bend the panel to remove it as it is. Plus, I'd end up with a jagged end on the panel if I trimmed it?

Any more ideas?

hmmm sounds a bit heath robinson to me.......ur right u ll have to cut it n re silicone to get access.

not that ud have to get to much access anymore. i mean leaks n stuff, missin cats or hamsters. i new an old lady with ur problem and she always wanted me to sort her bath panel out,; it got severely cracked all the time as she took it off to get her money,

god bless her... ah the good ol days......:)

just seal it up,if the panel does need removal is so easy just to apply another bead of silicone when your done

if you try to grease the edges of the tiles then spread the silicone over you will end up with a feathered edge that won't fit back onto the tiles properly the first time you take off the panel. Unless you leave the grease there to hold it against the tiles.

A photo might help with suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back