Stop valve/stop cock on rising main to cloakroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a downstairs cloakroom with the rising main supplying the toilet cistern. I have a stop cock in the kitchen under the sink but would like to have some kind of stop valve or stop cock on the pipe supplying the toilets cistern (enabling me to stop the flow to the downstairs toilet without affecting the rest of the house).

Do I have to use a special stop cock or valve as I am dealing with mains pressure? Can I use one of those valves that can be turned on/off by turning a screw (not sure what these are called)?

I'm guessing to perform this job its just a simple case of turning off mains, cutting pipe and installing valve and then turning mains on again.

Any things to look out for?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
bashdem said:
Can I use one of those valves that can be turned on/off by turning a screw (not sure what these are called)?
yes

I'm guessing to perform this job its just a simple case of turning off mains, cutting pipe and installing valve and then turning mains on again.
you got it.

Any things to look out for?
The stop tap may not shut off fully, get all your gear together before you cut the pipe. A towel might be handy to catch any drips. Don't try and force the tap if it won't shut off fully. Also, there might be quite a bit of water in the system that will flow out when you cut the pipe so have a bucket ready.

Or a straight version of the above, or a tap connector flexy with a tap on it.

Open the kitchen cold tap and flush the wc upstairs to empty the main before you cut it. If the stop cock doesn't shut fully leave low taps (eg garden) open.

Sponsored Links
Would the low taps not be higher than the area he's workin in as it's a downstairs lavvy? So if the stop tap passes won't it just come out of where he's workin? Mind you, I'm assuming it's a bottom fed cistern - I suppose you're right if it's a side entry. ;)

Yes but it'll keep the pressure right down. It'll tend to come out of closer taps on similar level.

Thanks for all your advice...

TicklyT, that part on screwfix looks useful - i'll check the movement and type of pipe in use at the moment.

The cistern is bottom fed so any leftover water is likely to get me wet although i'll leave the taps open anyhow. Or could I not push the ball valve down slightly after turning the mains off and have the excess water in the pipes fill the cistern (and subsequently overflow)?

ChrisR, I guess flushing the upstairs wc after turning the mains off is only applicable if it is mains fed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back