Stoping damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting an integral garage, in an old cottage, to the living room. The walls are limestone all around. I have just laid a concrete floor over a DPM.
I am now considering what to do with the walls in respect of damp. As it is am old cottage with solid stone walls which are very uneven, my initial thought is to fasten 2"battens to the wall , insulate between them, cover the bottom 3' with a a heavy duty plastic sheet like I used in the floor and then finally plaster board over the top. I have thought about this for a while and have decided that there may be better ways to prevent any damp coming through. Would it be an idea to drill holes in the battens for better ventilation in the space behind the plasterboard ?
I have read about the membrane which is plugged to the wall and can be plastered over and wonder whether it is anymore effective.

Has anyone got any suggestions on the best way to stop any potential damp from coming through. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not treat real damp instead of potential damp? Is the building in a very exposed rain driven position? If so put the protection on the outside.

If it isn't, you need to consider the vapour pressure inside the building will be higher than the vapour pressure outside, so you will have more problem letting the damp out than getting it in. If you seal up the place you will then have to open the window to get ventilation.

We have exactly this problem. When I knew even less than I do now, we moved here and the damp cowboys came along, injected the walls, hacked off the plaster , put sand cement coat on the walls, took money and left. Made sod all difference to the damp. It's a virtually waterproff construction, and the problem was lack of ventilation. We have a window open, no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back