Stopped and wont restart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a Peugeot 306 D Turbo est 1998 1905cc mileage 154057

i recently had my drive belt replaced
about 4 wks later a serious knocking noise came from the engine compartment
i thought it was low on oil topped up and that quietned it
then after approx 200miles a loss of power and then car spluttered to a halt unable to restart it does fire but wont run!

Sponsored Links
Drive belt or timing belt?

If it was the timing belt you had changed, check it is still intact by taking off the rocker cover and checking the camshaft and valve operation when you turn the engine over by hand. If all seems ok and nothing loose or broken, have a compression test done.

;)

cambelt slipped i reckon.
Wouldn't try starting it too much without investigating further or you could do some serious damage

cambelt slipped i reckon.
Wouldn't try starting it too much without investigating further or you could do some serious damage
Suspect damage has already been done, did the garage that did the work, give you a guarantee, for work carried out?

Wotan

Sponsored Links
what is the type of damage can it have caused?

what type of cost to repair?

Worse case scenario is a new engine if the valves have hit the pistons, hopefully not though hence get it checked before you turn it over again.

If the belt tensioner had not been adjusted and tightened correctly, it may have loosened of and the belt jumped teeth, in this case the pistons and valves will collided caising untold damage, if the engine was running at 6000 RPM then the piston would be hitting the vavles at 100 times a second, so you can imagine the damage would be inevitable.

Sponsored Links
Back