Stormguard threshold is not keeping driving rain out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a steel/wood/steel laminate back door, fitted with its own new frame, opening inwards and having a Stormguard Superseal threshold sill:
http://www.doorfurnituredirect.co.uk/scpro/bernards/productdetailsmore~productid~4890.htm

The door and frame are excellent but the sill leaks and I have re-fitted it several times, the last time using no-nails as a sealant, which somebody told me would be as good as the recommended sealant. However it still leaks when driving rain runs down the door. I have drilled bigger holes in the front of the profile for the water to escape but it gets in around the edges and underneath. I really don't think any sill system, no matter how well designed or fitted, will be able to resist the days or constant driven rain we've been suffering so I'm beginning to think I will have to fit a rain deflector to the door, which I don't want to do because it will spoil the pleasingly plain and simple look.

Any comments/suggestions/recommendations?

Sponsored Links
bet the door doesnt compress down on to the rubber?hence why the rain is comming in.

Yes it does; the seal is quite tight under the door. The water is getting in underneath the Stormguard sill. Maybe I should get the right sealant and try that first, eh?

so the metal part of the sill has only been laid down and fixed.
then yes i would lift it and put copious amounts of silicone down and rebed.

Sponsored Links
No; I didn't explain properly - the manufacturer sells a petroleum-based sealant, which they claim is the only one that can do the job. However the threshold was fitted with regular silicone sealant, which failed as soon as the wooden sill got wet. I refitted it with silicone then tried No Nails because somebody told me that was the same as the recommended stuff but that doesn't work either. Time to put my hand in my pockets I think!

The problem I find with these type of seal threshold sill, the bottom door should really be parallel to the threshold sill for a perfect seal which is not easy sometime. I find Gripfill works for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back