Strain on pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

You may have seen in a previous post that I was getting a tapping noise from my toilet. I traced the problem - when the toilet was refilling a nut on the copper pipe (I assume some kind of compression joint nut) was vibrating against one of the peices wood that make up the fitted furniture.

It was a really tight stretch for me able to get my hand around there to figure it out - I couldn't even see the bit of pipework, only feel it. I solved the problem by padding the gap between the wood and the pipe with an old dish cloth.

Now I am just slightly worried that the cloth will be putting a strain on the pipe as it's not sitting in it's "natural" position. Is this something I should worry about, or will it be ok?

Sponsored Links
You sure it`s not water hammer from the ballcock washer and seat in the cistern

No, I don't think so. If I move the pipe away from the wood it stops. And it's a brand new concealled cistern toilet, so I would hope that it's not the washer!

EDIT: Actually, I suppose it could be as the noise gets louder the closer the toilet is to being full.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Think this is how it happens (and some other members may have a take on it)
Do you remember this toy
The small steel frame with four steel balls suspened side by side, pull the first let it go and it pushes the forth one out from the pack and the whole cycle starts again.
This is what happens if you have a loose washer or seating , usually when the ballcock is nearly finished,but loads faster

Now swap the forth ball for lets stay " the wooden wall"

Or it could just require a clip in the correct position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back