Strange water leak from my CH / Greenstar CDI boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help with this query that’s got me confused.

About 3 years after installation of our full central heating and boiler, the boiler slowly loses pressure over the space of a month. We run it at about 1.5bar, but it’ll drop down to around 1 bar but never drains completely. I assume one of the joints is leaking, but it’s at such a low rate I haven’t got any way of locating it.

My plan was to get a bottle of Fernox Leak Sealer and give that a go. However…

I needed to do some decorating which required the removal of two radiators, so I drained down the central heating system anyway and planned to add the Fernox directly to one of the pipes before I re-fitted the radiators and re-filled the system.

But while the radiators were disconnected the strange leaking started. I’d drained down the CH using the tap the plumber had installed in our basement, at the lowest point in the system. I opened up the bleed value on the highest radiator to ensure the system drained completely.

The first radiator (on the ground floor) ended up being disconnected for about 3 weeks, and every time the hot water was used for an extended period, water would leak from the pipe where the radiator was disconnected (usually around a litre of water I’d estimate). At first I figured it was just the remnants of water in the CH system, but over time when it didn’t stop leaking I wondered where the heck all the water was coming from.

I then took off the second radiator, which was on the first floor and closer to the boiler, and when the hot water was used water actually spurted from the pipe, but in lower volumes.

The CH side was switched throughout the period, and the fill key wasn’t in the boiler… so my question is, where is this water coming from??

Forgive me as I don’t know the inner-workings of my boiler, but could some kind of leak inside the boiler be providing the water that is leaking from the rad pipes, and in turn also be was has been causing my loss of pressure when the rads were on?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Did you close the boilers iso valves to maintain your 1.5bar of system pressure when you drained the heating system, or did you continue to use the boiler for hot water with absolutely no system pressure in it? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back