Strengthening a loft floor

Shed is my other idea. was thinking of erecting a new one behind current one and somehow insulating it like a house woul dbe to protect contents.

My only issue is with security, shed is easy to break into, loft is pretty damn secure!

Sponsored Links
Paper is probably too heavy to store on ceiling joists. Have you considered shelving on the party wall? I'd avoid using porridge for the shelves and use external timber. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to store paper against any gable end.

I recently removed a 1970's CWS tank from a trussed loft. It was on several joists above the ceiling joists supported on 2 joists running across the ceiling joists at the base of the beams coming down from the apex. These beams basically hang the centre of the ceiling from the apex of the roof as well as supporting the centre of the rafters holding up the tiles. When I took them down, the joists holding up the CWS tank were quite warped. Interestingly, they recovered after being left in the garden for a couple of months over the summer.

hi static, dont get ya? i said peviously

"What i want to do is re-enforce the loft to handle storing lots of books, notes, folders, toys and everything else we can shove up there to create more space within the living areas of the house. "

so quite a lot, i've also got a suitcase full of maternity clothes, and one full of baby clothes, oh its about 20 plastic boxes of books/worksheets!

plus other stuff too! so is that light?

i'm still not certain what i've to do. i want to be able to store lots of small items, nothing super heavy, books arent super heavy are they?

just had a new baby so i really really dont want it to fall down on her. thats why i need to be sure!

it sounds like i need to get something like JJI-Joists put in to be sure

edit: oh Merry Xmas everyone!
Then spread stuff out and board more.. in the end 25kg/m2 is what you can store up there safely.. so about the weight of a suitcase full of clothes (ie what you can take on a plane) every square metre.. so dont stack the maternity clothes too high and dont pile all the books in one spot.. either that or get the snip and look into selling things on ebay..

fabulous!

think i'll move stuff out to the eaves, probably over the bathroom as that will be least used room!

Sponsored Links
just worked out 7m x 4.8m = 33.6 sq. m

33.6 * 15kg/m2(cautious average weight per sq.m/) = 504kg of storage.

LOL lots of storage potential up there then! seems like a lot im sure i wont have anything like that much, gonna take my scales up and see what i do have.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back