STRUCTURAL STEEL WORK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three dedroom with driveway at the side. I am wanting to build an extension on the driveway. Make the kitchen twice the size, by taking down the external wall bewteen kitchen and driveway (10 x 8ft approx wall). Directly above the kitchen is my daughters bedroom and I want to make this room bigger, by building over kitchen onto driveway. This will mean that I will need to take down external wall between bedroom and driveway.

This will mean taking out a lot of external wall. Before I employ an engineer does anyone know if this is possible to do.

Can I put in two steel columns and two beams, one to support the roof trusses and one to support the timber joists ( that run at right angles to external wall) and then take out the external wall area in bedroom and kitchen. Existing brickwork built up to columns.

Do you get the picture. Any advice would be grateful.
cheers

Sponsored Links
mac999 said:
This will mean taking out a lot of external wall. Before I employ an engineer does anyone know if this is possible to do.
Put it this way, nothing is impossible providing the planning & building regulations and also they are happy with the engineer calculation reports.

The biggest problem will be the money side of it, might be cheaper to move :eek: I have overspent on my property but I have no intention of moving as I'm happy in my area.

As masona says anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

Planning may also be a problem. Work out how much money you have to spend and also give your local planning dept a call and see what they think.

Sponsored Links
We're all happy in Essex

We've all got Plasmas and decking.

And all the girls have streaky hair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back