Stuck thermostatic valves on CH radiators

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the head off to expose the moving metal pin which controls the flow; but this time I can't get the metal pin to move. Have done this once or twice before, and I used a spray of silicon lubricant to loosen them up. Now they seem to be locked solid.

Was the silicon lubricant a big no-no ???

I haven't got to the stage of hitting the pins with a club hammer yet; last time I just 'leaned' on them with the business end of a wrench, just applying pressure, metal on metal, to get the pin to move.

Any other recommended lubricant or release agent? Or do I have to resort to 'percussive maintenance' ...?

Sponsored Links
Gently tap pin (I use the aluminium guide from bender) so not to damage pin, may need easing with grips don't pull too hard on some makes you can pull pin out!

i don't like to hit the pin as you may bend it.

if you put a soupspoon in the palm of your hand, you can press directly down. The shape of the bowl of the spoon prevents the pin tilting sideways, and spreads the pressure comfortably over your hand.

if you use WD40 on the wife's toothbrush, it will clean out residual dirt as well as providing short-term lubrication. Once it starts to move and the WD40 spreads, it will soon free off

try to remember that you don't need to screw TRVs tight down at the end of winter. Leave them up and they will continue to move a little with the temperature changes. your room stat or timer settings will prevent the heating coming on, so there is no wasted energy.

Sponsored Links
I've found the pins tend to stick in if the valve has been turned off for an extended period of time. A gentle axial pull of about 1mm with pliers tends to free them off. As Exedon states, don't pull too far as, if the pin comes out, it will be followed by water !

Just unscrew the gland have a small towel or kitchen roll or something, a tiny drip of water will come out, then remove the pin and clean with steel wool or emery paper , add a spot of silicon grease on the pin stick it back in and refit the gland

I've got the head off to expose the moving metal pin which controls the flow; but this time I can't get the metal pin to move. Have done this once or twice before, and I used a spray of silicon lubricant to loosen them up. Now they seem to be locked solid.

Was the silicon lubricant a big no-no ???

I haven't got to the stage of hitting the pins with a club hammer yet; last time I just 'leaned' on them with the business end of a wrench, just applying pressure, metal on metal, to get the pin to move.

Any other recommended lubricant or release agent? Or do I have to resort to 'percussive maintenance' ...?

Why are you testing them in this weather:).

Each spring loosen the head so it isn't in contact with the pin then they tend not to stick but after 4 months closed it's more than a likelyhood.

Every Saturday at mid day I hear the TRV heads activating they open and close fully then return to setting, easy in hind sight to say use electronic heads.

But at work where they are too mean to buy electronic heads, up to date been able to pull up with vice grips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back