Stud Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am wanting to lower my bathroom ceiling to install recessed lights.

The short span is 2.2m.

The room is 3.4 x 2.2m

Am I right in thinking 2x4 C16 spaced at 24" centres would be sufficient for plasterboard, or would 16" be required?

Also, attaching either side of the wall, would this be better on joist hangers? or onto wood?

Do I require noggins? as the boards are 2400x1200, there would be no 'loose edges'.

Any help appreciated, I have only ever done a wall, never a ceiling.

Sponsored Links
The last things you want in your bathroom are recessed lights - or even in your house. Search on here (and in the elec forum) for the various expensive difficulties they can introduce into the structure.

FWIW: set your centres at 400mm, use ledgers and hangers - google pics of "deck ledgers".

Note the Part-P and extractor requirements for a bathroom?

The last things you want in your bathroom are recessed lights - or even in your house. Search on here (and in the elec forum) for the various expensive difficulties they can introduce into the structure.

FWIW: set your centres at 400mm, use ledgers and hangers - google pics of "deck ledgers".

Note the Part-P and extractor requirements for a bathroom?

Thanks, happy to install a fan.

What are the issues with recessed lights? I was thinking of using a few 5w LED IP65 lights?

Recessed light could allow a fire to spread to an upper floor/loft. They also leak steam into a loft causing condensation and rot.
Also as a downside, they leave the ceiling and the top 18" of the walls unlit, and make them look dingy.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Go for 450mm centres and use 900mm x 1800mm plasterboards.

100mm x 50mm timber will be fine spanning the short distance.

If you install the correct ip rated down lights for showers you will have zero problems with draught and rot !

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back