Stud \ Pipe locator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have one of those devices that you can use to locate Studs for attaching to, Pipes, cables etc, It was great in my old house (built @1950), but I now have a new buil (2009) and I think that there might be some reflective foil on the back of the plaster board, boucing back to signal, becauuse it always makes the noise that it is supposed to, is there a new version of these, that can be use with plasterboard with reflective foil?

I guess there are a couple of alternatives:-

1) Tap on the plasetboard and listern until you get a 'Thud', then there should be Stud behind.

2) As I want to locate stud to fix some batterning for shelves, make were shef is going and dril small holes every so often.

3) Don't worry about Stud fixing, just use Cavity Fixing Pluags.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I have yet to come across, what I would call a professionally stud, metal, pipe, voltage detector.
If your house was built 2009, there is a good chance that the upright studs are 400mm centres apart. So once you have located one the chances are then every 400mm centre-centre and a noggin about half way up.
But the hollow wall taping is a good method, but if dense insulation has been installed might still be a little tricky.
Also remember that these walls could contain, water/gas pipes and electrical cables.
In a 2009 installation the electrics should comply to BS7671:2008 and the cables run in safe zones which are described here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Thanks for that :D
I did try last night with my old detector, if I set it so that it din't quite make a noise, it never did,if I set it so it was making a noise, the tone did change slightly, so that is where I suspect there might be a Stud.

Will give it a go and see.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back