Stud wall questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed a TV bracket onto a stud wall using 4x25mm Gripits. Seems solid but for an insurance policy I'd like to stick 2 coach screws into the stud as well but need to make sure I get the middle of it. As you can see, I'm having to patch up two holes as one was too close to the stud for the Gripit's wings to release.

I've attached two photos.

1. The part of the stud screwed to the plasterboard - what diameter would it be? 1.5/2"?
2. Are the studs not meant to be 600mm apart?

Thanks
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg

Sponsored Links
The distance between studs is a guideline. Common distances are 400 and 600mm, but if your wall isn't a perfect multiple of 200mm then I would expect the sizes to be adjusted slightly to make them almost even.

They're typically measured center of the stud to center of the next one. Which is why you might hear about rafters or studs at 400 centers. I suppose it makes more sense than "left edge to left edge".

The studs are most probably either 4x2 or possibly 3x2, with the 2 facing out from the wall. That doesn't mean 2" wide, for boring reasons it probably means closer to 40mm.

It might be a terrible idea but to be sure you could drill some holes above or below to test where the stud is. Ideally somewhere out of sight so your damage can be hidden.

Or check the radiator, there's a good chance it's bolted to the studs.

Thanks for that great info.

Maybe I wasn’t clear, where I’ve marked “edge of stud” is the actual edge. I can actually see it.

You probably were clear, the diagram clearly stated it. :rolleyes: at me.

The stud is probably around 40mm wide. Go 20mm in and drill your pilot hole. I'd use a Pilot hole to hedge your bets in case it's narrower than expected and to reduce the chances of splitting.

Sponsored Links
You probably were clear, the diagram clearly stated it. :rolleyes: at me.

The stud is probably around 40mm wide. Go 20mm in and drill your pilot hole. I'd use a Pilot hole to hedge your bets in case it's narrower than expected and to reduce the chances of splitting.

Sorry mate, I know that may have sounded cheeky. Definitely wasn't intended that way.

I measured in 20mm as you said then drilled a pilot hole and screwed in the coach screws in. Everything seems to have gone well. I'll put it this way, nothing went CRACK and the wall is still standing! :D The TV bracket is going nowhere! Big thanks for that advice.

May I ask you 2 other questions?

I'm putting the same bracket up in another room on another stud wall. When you say to drill a pilot hole, do you mean to drill them at the sides of the stud to find its width as well as into the stud for the crew? Forgive me if that's a stupid question. Also, am I right in saying they would either be 1.5" or 2"? Could they less or more?

Thanks again.

They're very likely to be 38mm wide. Thinner or thicker isn't impossible, but would be unusual.

A pilot hole is just for the screw to go into, an identical hole used to find the location of the stud would probably be called something else (exploratory holes?). If you're able to locate the stud, or one edge, then I wouldn't bother mucking around with my suggestion for exploratory holes.

Happy to hear it hasn't fallen down yet. :)

They're very likely to be 38mm wide. Thinner or thicker isn't impossible, but would be unusual.

A pilot hole is just for the screw to go into, an identical hole used to find the location of the stud would probably be called something else (exploratory holes?). If you're able to locate the stud, or one edge, then I wouldn't bother mucking around with my suggestion for exploratory holes.

Happy to hear it hasn't fallen down yet. :)

Thanks again mate. Good of you to take the time to help out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back