Sudden pressure change in taps -- cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Over the past few days, I've noticed that the water flow from our bathroom tap has been a little less than normal, but nothing particularly of note -- I'm just quite attuned to small changes like this.

However, this morning, suddenly, the tap head -- a single lever up/down and left/right affair -- has become very stiff. It feels almost like there's a lot of pressue below it suddenly, though if anything the water flow is less than a few days ago. At the same time, it feels as though the kitchen tap (downstairs) has suddenly got looser, though I may just be imagining this. My wife thinks also that the shower pressure has dropped a bit, but I'm not convinced on this. We're certainly not imagining the sudden stiffness of the upstairs bathroom tap -- we both agree it's suddenly super-stiff.

Were it not so sudden I might've put it down to calcium/lime deposits. However, what with the possible change in pressure downstairs as well, I'm really stumped.

So, any ideas as to what could've caused this?

Harry.

Sponsored Links
Your imagination?, water pressure from mains varies from hour to hour depending on demand, bathroom tap is just seizing up and needs dismantling and cleaning.No great mystery.

Thanks Foxhole...

I imagine you're right and that it is only my imagination. Thing is, we've only been in this place a few months so I'm still getting used to the 'feel' of things.

Pretty sure now that the tap just needs a good service. No isolation valve on the tap, though, so will have to go find the stopcock. Not fiddled with this type of tap before, either, so will be a new experience, if nothing else.

Harry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back