Sulphuric acid based unblockers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if sulphuric acid based drain unblockers like one shot, rhino etc are ok to use on a toilet with a multiquick flexi pan connector fitted... Since the plastic is softer and seems thinner i wanted to see if i should still be okay without damaging the pipe connector?

Got a suspected wet wipe blockage that ill try plunging from the pan first

Any advice welcome

Sponsored Links
No, no and no again. They are godawful products and should be banned from Public sale. I'm highly doubtful it would do anything with wipes anyway. 'One Shot' might work its way through a fat/soap/hair/organic type blockage, but wipes are the devil incarnate, (keep many a Drain Engineer in business, but cost the Water Companies £millions to deal with every year), and will require mechanical removal.

Whereabouts is the pan, (ground or first floor) and any idea where the drain/outlet goes? I'd be careful plunging with a flexi connector too, there is a risk the pressure may split it or blow the finned end out the outlet pipe. Ideally, remove as much water as possible, then remove the pan, and work from there.

This is what they look like when the accumulate in the system....
Rag blockage.jpg

Nope, don't use it, nasty nasty stuff.

Old style mop with a plastic bag around it acts as a perfect toilet plunger if you can't get it out mechanically, careful with the flexi as plunging could end up causing quite a mess if it pops.

Whereabouts is the pan, (ground or first floor) and any idea where the drain/outlet goes? I'd be careful plunging with a flexi connector too, there is a risk the pressure may split it or blow the finned end out the outlet pipe. Ideally, remove as much water as possible, then remove the pan, and work from there.
View attachment 227146

First floor, outlet leaves the building through a wall to an external branch that goes to a shared vertical stack.

Above and below occupants report no problem. Not been to see it yet but had it jetted out by a local company a few months back so suspect my tennants may have caused the blockage based on what was removed last time

Sponsored Links
TRADE CUSTOMERS ONLY, YOU MUST HAVE AN EPP LICENCE AND BE OVER 18 TO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT

One Shot Drain Cleaner - Instantly unblocks drains in just one shot! One Shot is the original and best drain cleaner available in the UK. One Shot has been sold throughout the UK for over 33 years. Tried, tested and trusted, the One Shot brand of drain cleaner has been used by generations of people to save money and keep their drains flowing.

When poured into a clogged or blocked drain, One Shot instant drain cleaner goes to work instantly. dissolving grease, rags, soap, and paper towels. One Shot should be used as a preventative maintenance product on a regular monthly basis and you will not need expensive professional plumbing services.

I believe it's the product used to cause terrible disfigurements by throwing into people's faces

It's similar, if not the same, awful stuff. If it's an upstairs WC, I'd be tempted to remove the pan and shove a Drain Cleaning snake down the soil pipe, see what you can bring back. If it is wipes again, I'd be giving the Tenants the bill, these things are not flushable, regardless of what it may say on the packet.

I'd be wary of putting Chemicals down for yours and everyone else's safety, especially on a shared stack. If it doesn't solve the issue and you need to get it jetted, the last thing you want is that stuff being blown back out of a third party's WC.

No, no and no again. They are godawful products and should be banned from Public sale.
They actually are banned from sale to the public, as a result of the rise in acid attacks we saw a couple of years ago, but unfortunately they're still quite easy & cheap to get hold of - can buy 4 × 1 litre bottles for £25 on eBay.

Agree that it won't touch wet wipes though, it's designed to break down biodegradable stuff.

TRADE CUSTOMERS ONLY, YOU MUST HAVE AN EPP LICENCE AND BE OVER 18 TO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT

One Shot Drain Cleaner - Instantly unblocks drains in just one shot! One Shot is the original and best drain cleaner available in the UK. One Shot has been sold throughout the UK for over 33 years. Tried, tested and trusted, the One Shot brand of drain cleaner has been used by generations of people to save money and keep their drains flowing.

When poured into a clogged or blocked drain, One Shot instant drain cleaner goes to work instantly. dissolving grease, rags, soap, and paper towels. One Shot should be used as a preventative maintenance product on a regular monthly basis and you will not need expensive professional plumbing services.
Well if it says it on the packet then it must be true :rolleyes:

As @Hugh Jaleak , there's a clause in the lease for my tenants about not putting wet wipes & other unsuitable items down the toilet. Cost them £300 last year when the drains backed up (never happened in the 25 years i lived there), drain bloke pulled a builders tub worth of wetwipes out the manhole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back