Summer house near to SSSI and size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to build a summerhouse in my garden soon, It will be about 5x4m and under 4m high. Its in a fairly large garden and the summerhouse is to replace a very old one hat had to be demolished a couple of years ago as it was unsafe.

As far as I can tell I do not need planning permission and from looking at the local planning online it looks as though I could build a bigger building if required, for some reason I though I could not build bigger that 30 square meters the planning site does not list this restriction, has the size restriction be removed or maybe I just remembered it wrongly.

The plot that I am building the summerhouse on has a SSSI along one boundary (the SSSI covers many miles along a river bank and the river is one of my boundaries) the SSSI only covers about 2 meters of my site and the summer house will be several meters further back from the bank, I can't find anything that says that is a problem but doses anyone know if there any restrictions building a summer house near an SSSI.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure about restrictions concerning planning and SSSIs, but the 30 sq m you refer to relates to the applicaton of Building Regulation; it has nothing to do with planning legislation.

If its not in the SSSI, then the restrictions wont apply

If you are next to a river, your land boundary is normally the centre of it, not the bank. But you need to see where the SSSI boundary is

Sponsored Links
If its not in the SSSI, then the restrictions wont apply

Good to have that confirmed thanks.

If you are next to a river, your land boundary is normally the centre of it, not the bank. But you need to see where the SSSI boundary is

yes I had forgotten that my boundary is the middle of the river, the SSSI covers the river and a small amount of the banks on either side, I want to rebuild the Summer house several meters back from the bank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back