Supporting a gatepost

This may be over kill but if the gates are heavy then a simple concreted hole for the post may not suffice to keep the post vertical.

Also consider that when the gates are open their weight will be pulling the posts in a different direction

N gate beam.jpg

Sponsored Links
Under ground buttresses sounds very scientific.

What are these, would they be spikes?

running a concrete "sill" or beam between the two concrete bases for the gateposts (preferably with reinforcement) will prevent them leaning together under the weight of the gates when closed. A wooden lintel between the tops of the posts will do the same, and will reduce the tendency to rattle in the wind. It is not, as people often think, just an ornamental feature.

The concrete spurs in the diagram are to prevent the posts leaning backwards under the weight of the gates when they are open.

If you are laying a concrete entry or drive, tie it in to the concrete post fill with reinforcement, and it will do the same. It needs to be a monolithic structure.

I will be installing a 5ft high double wooden gate with two 1m panels.

The gate panels are well made so pretty weighty and I plan to fix them to 4x4 wooden posts.

One post will be fixed to a house wall so fairly straight forward.

The other post will be fixed to or through a concrete floor and I don't know how thick the concrete is.

Rather than creating a hole through the concrete for setting the post in I was thinking about using a bolt down post holder as an alternative?

I am slightly nervous about this method but has anyone tried this method before with gate posts?

Your opinions would be most welcome.
So will each gate be just over 2m wide ?

if so, I don't thing 4x4 is man enough for the job. 5x5 or even 6x6 and concrete them in to at least 2 foot depth.

And as others have mentioned some consideration to how compact the earth is you are concreting them into. Big heavy gates need to attached to something big heavy and solid if they are going to last.

Sponsored Links
So will each gate be just over 2m wide ?

if so, I don't thing 4x4 is man enough for the job. 5x5 or even 6x6 and concrete them in to at least 2 foot depth.

And as others have mentioned some consideration to how compact the earth is you are concreting them into. Big heavy gates need to attached to something big heavy and solid if they are going to last.

They will be 1000mm panels.

They will be 1000mm panels.
your orignal post is a bit ambiguous - "double wooden gate with two 1m panels." does that mean each gate has one or two 1m panels ? Either way the sizes are a little unusual, an overall opening of 2m is very wide for a path and too small for a car, a 4m opening is massive,

Probably best to either give the overall opening or the width of each gate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back