Supporting exposed soil under fence concrete base panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had decided to remove raised flower bed in my garden, as the wooden supporting edge deteriorated. However I haven't realised that the fence base panels weren't put deep enough, so now if I make the soil level with the rest of the garden, there is exposed soil. And I fear it might deteriorate slowly.
20220903_201715.jpg20220903_201507.jpg
So I think it needs supporting, but I'm struggling to figure the best approach. I want to put just a turf on the ground (or artificial grass).
Currently I could thing of following
1. put some rocks in there and make it look a little like rock garden
2. put a sleepers there
3. dig under the panels and lower them a little, making the fence a little lower though
4. put back some soil and put the turf on slope
5. leaving it untouched

But there might be some better solution? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can wiggle bricks under them if you want. I prefer concrete gravel boards that are sunk slightly into the ground. You can stand them on the concrete you pour round the posts.

If you happen to be mixing a bit, you can scrape out a narrow trench under the boards with a garden trowel, add some boards as formwork, and spoon mix into it so that when it sets the gravel boards will be sitting in it.

Remember to add spaces in every corner, and part way down the sides, for hedgehogs.

Can you lower the existing concrete gravel boards and the fence panel on top?
Or perhaps get yourself some new gravel boards to add? you would need to remove the fence panel to slot the new gravel board on top of the old one. They need not be concrete but could be wood is on top.

Can you lower the existing concrete gravel boards and the fence panel on top?
Or perhaps get yourself some new gravel boards to add? you would need to remove the fence panel to slot the new gravel board on top of the old one. They need not be concrete but could be wood is on top.
that could work, but the fence is street facing, and I need to do it only on 2 panels out of many, so it wouldn't be visually pleasing...

Sponsored Links
You can wiggle bricks under them if you want. I prefer concrete gravel boards that are sunk slightly into the ground. You can stand them on the concrete you pour round the posts.

If you happen to be mixing a bit, you can scrape out a narrow trench under the boards with a garden trowel, add some boards as formwork, and spoon mix into it so that when it sets the gravel boards will be sitting in it.

Remember to add spaces in every corner, and part way down the sides, for hedgehogs.
so basically slap the gravel board in front of the existing concrete base and secure it with concrete mix underneath it? and possibly try to slide the gravel panel under the existing one a little I guess?

the concreted fence post will probably stop any future added gravel board as the post hole concrete will prevent the new panel sitting in.
to be honest, some stuff like slate or tiles would do to fill the gap from your side tucked in and half (or more) buried.

that could work, but the fence is street facing, and I need to do it only on 2 panels out of many, so it wouldn't be visually pleasing...
Visually pleasing for who?

Don't worry about those on the street - they don't give a monkeys.
You - your going to have a fence that holds back the street side dirt, that first pic shows a panel that is higher than the one to it's left, if your able to drop the panel down to the same height that would help.

I would not worry about being visually pleasing, it's a fence - you will likely have plants etc. in front of it anyway.

I was actually thinking of pouring a concrete strip under the existing gravel board. You will need wooden boards as formwork to make the visible part look neat. You have a tiny trench in the ground, the part below ground that will not be visible does not have to look neat, but I would take the forms down a couple of inches in case the ground shifts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back