supporting unsupported joists...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently bought a new bungalow that i want to renovate and go into the loft space in the future. For now though i just would like to remove the chimney and chimney breast so that mine and my wife's room will be bigger.

below i have posted a drawing of a birds eye view of my chimney stack...

As you can see on the drawing i am going to end up with two unsupported joists when the breast is removed and would love to know the best way to support them again. The supporting wall at the back is staying so i'm kind of thinking that a trimmer and some joist hangers would do the job but wanted a bit of advice from a pro if possible as i have to send off a building notice with my proposed plans...

The joists are currently 4x2

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Seems like you've got the right idea, trimming is the easiest way to go. I'd also put in a trimmer against the wall and short joists between the two trimmers. The only other ways are either to bolt onto the sides of the short joists or replace the whole joist which either way is an awful lot of work for no real gain.
You may have to strenghten the ceiling in the future but I'm sure you are aware of this and there are several threads about that type of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back