Supporting wall or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I know this is a well discussed topic on here but having searched i cant find an answer to my specific problem.
I live in a ground floor 1970's purpose built flat. Id like to remove the wall between my separate bathroom and toilet. It is about 2m long and constructed of single skin bricks. I have removed a brick at one end and can see above both door frames that the ceiling is made of concrete. it is made up of beams approx 12inches wide which run parallel with the wall id like to remove. one is directly above the wall.
The wall doesnt touch the ceiling directly but has some mortar making up the gap.
Am i wrongy assuming that the beams will be steel reinforced, and i can just remove the wall.
The flat above has a wall in the same place directly above mine.

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
it will depend upon how the floor beams span.

if is an intermediate partition wall then it will have been built after the floors were laid.
provided there is no visible join or an obvious 'beam end' visible then it is safe to assume the wall can be removed.

Thank you for your reply,
so am i right in assuming these beams would be reinforced, therefore is it okay to continue removing bricks unless i come across a joint in the beam? Or would it be best to strip the plaster from the ceiling all the way along the wall first?

Thank you for your reply,
so am i right in assuming these beams would be reinforced

yes they are. unless they are block 'n' beam, then only the beam bit is reinforced.

they are designed with internal partition wall loads built-in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, ill do a bit more investigation to make sure the beam spans the whole wall

Hi, nose,
It doesn't sound like beam and block as the beams are only 4" wide in that method.
If the beams are 12" wide then they must/may be reinforced concrete slabs and supported on the outside walls.
I should think his local council will have some details on file.
lets not kill the poor buggers Eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back