surface drain / corroded cast iron grill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The surface drain at the front of the house is clogged up with soil. I tried to remove the cast iron grill it in order to clear the soil but it wouldn't budge. I tried loosening it using gentle hammer taps and a screw driver but that only chipped away bits of corroded iron. I could simply smash the whole thing but that might crack the clay housing its resting on. Any suggestions on how to deal with this ? Ive attached a pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG
    525.3 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
Something with s bend on that you can pass through the holes then pull up on. A small manhole key or something.

Sponsored Links
I would try a good soaking around the edge with penetrating oil and left overnight.

thanks all, I had tried pulling it up with my Garden weeding tool which I was able to pass through the grill, then I connected it up with the main 5ft handle. It still wouldn't shift.

I'll try soaking the edges with WD40 oil and leave overnight. Will have to be wait till next weekend now

Thanks again

if you cleaned it thoroughly you might reveal a couple of screw heads - just a possibility but i've sometimes seen them screwed to a frame?

the gulley is filled with soil so why not dig out on the left front to expose any gulley/trap/bend an if an how connected?

thers some other stuff showin not connected with the gratin if you interested?

thanks all, I had tried pulling it up with my Garden weeding tool which I was able to pass through the grill, then I connected it up with the main 5ft handle. It still wouldn't shift.

I'll try soaking the edges with WD40 oil and leave overnight. Will have to be wait till next weekend now

Thanks again
Repeated upward taps are far more effective than slow upwards force, that's why impact tools were invented?
At the end if the day , a new plastic one is only a quid in Toolstation if you break it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back