Surface Mounted socket boxes on insulated wall?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in 50mm kingspan internal wall insulation, with plasterboard over.

Would it be advisable to use Surface Mounted electric boxes rather than cut a hole into the insulation?

This will be for a bedroom, for the bedsides, so will stick out a bit.

Sponsored Links
The loss of a small amount of insulation where the socket is will be insignificant.

Of more relevance is how the cables will be installed relative to this new insulation.

hoping my electrician will pop round soonish to advise, so I can crack on with insulating the floor and walls.
Currently the sockets are nearish the floor and all cables run under the floor, so I assume that will be the case still, with a cable running between plasterboard and insulation.

Sponsored Links
If we repair the hole with silver insulation tape, that will solve the problem won't it?

a photo update - both sockets will soon be freed up and can be put on new wall...

you can just about make out one socket on the floor behind the hopper and another on the left wall that came out the chasesd bit on the rear wall to the left of the chimney.

IMG_20180801_232319022_LL.jpg

There's thermal bridging too worry about, this can cause condensation buildup.
If you are using 25mm boxes on a wall with 15mm pb+skim then it's probably fine, if you fix a deep box right through the insulation, you're at risk.
You can check the limiting u values in the building regs approved documents, but basically if you keep a decent layer of insulation behind the socket box you should be ok.

Electrician suggested fixing something like this and glueing it in with the same foam I use to fix the insulation boards - this will help maintain some insulation and vapour barrier.
Will only need to go 20mm or so into into 50mm board. All should be good.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back