Survey report back, your advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just received the home buyers report back on a property I made an offer on, In the report its listed a few concerning issues which are marked urgent.
It also goes on to recommend a structural engineer.

The house is a semi-detached built in 1959. This is the house in question

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43443220.html

[ Roof coverings ]

The main roof is hipped and covered by interlocking concrete tiles, The surface levels are reasonable, tiles are in position and free from any serious damage. One tile on the left slope has slightly lifted out of position.
The ridge tiles are adequately bedded and are in position except on the front left hip where a number of tiles have been blown off the roof recently and have not been replaced. There is also some re-pointing required beneath the ridge and hip tiles.

There is a flat roof over the single storey side extension. It is part of the main side garage roof which extends backwards. The felt is fairly worn and will need overhauling. The drainage falls are fairly shallow and may need improving.

[ Rainwater pipes / Gutters ]

The gutters and downspouts are almost all original cast iron and corroding.
There are also gaps beginning to appear between gutter sections and the rainwater fittings will need a complete overhaul.

[ Main walls ]

There are some initial signs of frost damage below the damp course level on the front and rear elevations but it is not excessive at present. There is, however more excessive damage on the side wall of the side extension and garage. The bottom two courses have been covered by render to protect the brick but the render has also been affected by frost damage and the bricks will need replacing along the whole length of the side extension. This point is particularly relevant to the garage wall which is off single brick.

The edges of a felt damp proof course are visible on the surfaces of soome of the walls, it is almost bridged by the front door step but otherwise the damp proofing has not been bridged.

We noted some hairline step cracks in the side wall above the garage roof towards the back of the building. Any movement is only slight but a support wall has probably been removed between the extension and the original kitchen area at some time in the past. There is some evidence that a support lintel has been fitted beneath the ceiling but it is fairly narrow and we suspect it may only support the inner leaf brick. There is no evidence of any movement on the internal surface. It would be advisable to seek advice from a qualified structural engineer.

The chimney breast has at some point been removed up to the first floor which separates the bedroom wardrobes - not sure this is secure or not

[ Porches ]

The porch roof forms an extension of the projecting garage roof and is positioned over the front entrance. The porch is not enclosed and the roof is suspended at the right end. It is mainly supported by the front elevation and projecting side wall of the garage. The frame is in deteriorating condition. The drainage falls are adverse and the felt is at the end of its useful life. The felt is also fitted into an open joint in the brick work and the brick work seems to have dropped slightly above the entrance porch.

[ Other joinery finishes ]

Fascia and soffit boarding has suffered from neglect and is deteriorating condition.

[ Garage ]

The internal brick walls are in reasonable condition but there is further evidence that the brick has slipped slightly over the window and door openings. The side wall is of single leaf construction. The roof is fairly high but the boarding is stained with damp.

================================================== ===

would you say the cracking and chimney breast half removed would would warrant a structural survey or is the report being over cautious.

I'm just wondering how much all this will cost to fix or what should be made priority. I'm hoping I can get some money knocked off with all these issues.

Anyone have an idea to how much it will cost to replace the frost damaged brick work ?

Sorry for the long post but any advice you can give would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My advice would be that if you are having to ask for advice on here about whether to buy the property then don't buy it. It could be ok or it could be a money pit but without seeing it then no-one can say. The surveyor has pointed out issues & you really need a builder to give you prices for repairs & then think about proceeding with the purchase. You seem to be intent on ignoring the surveyors advice so I suspect you will end up with a heap of trouble. :(

I'd get two quotes from local builders for the work that is important to you and then try to knock this off the asking price.

Looks like you will need a new flat roof and guttering which should be taken into account when pricing.
They have removed the chimney breast but there still appears to be a chimney so the question is 'does the chimney have support in the loft?' something the vendor may be able to supply proof of, failing that then the engineers report may be required to confirm.
The potential problem with an unsupported chimney is that it could end up in the living room with you under it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds reasonable to me, and in many ways not dissimilar to the survey on my own house before I bought it and to be honest, probably most buildings that are old enough to have some history.
- Plenty of work and cost if you get it all done straight away when you move in.
- But probably nothing that needs doing urgently, with most likely being fine for years.

I rang my surveyor and talked over the points which help translate what he had written into what was reasonable to expect if I bought it.

Combine that with a quote from a local builder for the work that would be required 'worse case' (adding lintels to the outer leaf of the front windows where wooden frames had been replaced with plastic) and so far although I had to have some lead work sorted round the chimney (not on the report) and change some broken down double glazing units, so far I haven't needed to do any of it.

In round figures I was quoted £1000 maximum each to add a lintel over the two front windows.

Budget for re-felting the flat roof before the end of the year.

Daniel

They have removed the chimney breast but there still appears to be a chimney so the question is 'does the chimney have support in the loft?' something the vendor may be able to supply proof of, failing that then the engineers report may be required to confirm.
The potential problem with an unsupported chimney is that it could end up in the living room with you under it.
I read 'The chimney breast has at some point been removed up to the first floor which separates the bedroom wardrobes' as only having the ground floor removed.

Its fairly unlikely the lot will come down if its unsupported I would say, more likely a few bricks will fall off the bottom on the plasterboard below with time, maybe taking the plasterboard with it if not spotted.

A full structural survey seams over the top to me, but it would be worth trying to find out if the current owners know what was done at the time, perhaps with photos of it before the ceiling went up, or of the beam going in when the kitchen/extension was knocked through. If that comes to nothing and you cant see anything, I would assume the worse and get a builder to quote for the work.
Then if you buy it, or as part of the negations if the seller is willing, its a fairly simple job to make a small hole in the ceiling to inspect more closely, which can then be patched over with easy (unless its artex'ed) if required.

Daniel

A structural survey would probably cost somewhere between £500 -£1,000. Compared to £185,000, I think it's well worth doing if your funds allow. At least if you know for sure what needs to be done, you can negotiate the price down.

As above, your google drive pics are inaccessible.

The issues raised by the "Home Report" are all minor, not to mention almost illiterately confusing.

No structural survey or consultation with a SE is necessary.

If required, inserting an RSJ lintel at the kitchen knock through is straightforward.

The upper chimney breast is probably not supported - but again its fairly simple to fit gallows brackets and, given that the neighbour's have not removed their chimney breast, the odds are that what you have will remain stable for quite some time.
Quote: "not sure this is secure or not" ... and?

The other items are minor. Eg. Removing a course of supporting bricks is common work place for builders.

After the work, some making good to plaster and decorations would have to be done but you would probably alter the decorations anyway.

Where is the boiler flue discharging? Into the garage?

Dont let any of the report stand in your way if you wish to buy the house.
Mortgage Retention whatever it is, or if there even is one, should be low and easily and quickly fulfilled.

A local, small builder would be best to do all the items.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back