SWA cable routing and fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I have searched the forum and wiki but cant find a clear answer.

Anyway my main question is, under the current wiring regulations is it acceptable to run SWA cable along the ground surface at the base of a garden fence (concrete posts and gravel boards) or must the cable be buried? The route is well out of the way of normal foot traffic etc.

If it is acceptable, should the cable be fixed to something rigid (like the fence or enclosed within a rigid conduit / pipe); or can the cable just be left lying on the ground surface?

The reason I am asking is that my electrician says it is OK to lay it loose on the ground but i am not really sure that would satisfy the regs - although there's such a lot to wade through I cant be certain. I would be really grateful for any advice from someone with more knowledge.

Sponsored Links
If your electrician is happy to sign it off...

But should you be using an electrician whose competence you doubt?

Thanks for your reply ban-all-sheds. Trouble is I dont know enough to judge whether my doubts are unfounded. Thats why I am grateful for any independent advice.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar need & fixing the SWA to the concrete gravel boards seemed to be a challenge.... Drilling seemed likely to make a mess of the boards. The solution was builders band hooked over the gravel boards at regular intervals & bolting cable cleats to the band. Worked a treat... the cable is clear of the ground & well visible + its rock solid fixed.

It either wants clipping or burying.

If there is plenty of bushes etc that will hide it away then clip it up, personally I would be looking to bury it, 600mm sand bed sand top WARNING tape and top it off.

Your sparky sounds a touch lazy to me!!

holmslaw - Thanks for the advice.

freeonboard - That sounds like a good idea. i might well do that if neighbour doesn't complain.

oharaf - When you say I could clip it up do you know if I could clip it to a purpose made structure (say a run of planks supported by 12 inch posts) rather than the fence. (Neighbour is difficult over the fence!)

To be fair to my sparks it would be very difficult to bury the cable. It is not virgin ground and a lot of concrete etc. would have to be dug up over the 35metre run. So its in both our interests to find the most practical solution just as long as it satisfies the regs.

Can I ask one final question? Does anybody know which of the 17th Ed,. regulations applies here? It would be handy to quote this to my sparks.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. It is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back