Swaging vs crimping - same thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am involved in heated debate, so heated that I have registered here just to get my answer once and for all!

I know the term swaging is usually used to refer to the punch swage you hammer into the end of a pipe section to increase the end diameter.

But I'm seeing some instances of pipes which I would call crimped being referred to as 'swaged', and have found tools that I would previously have called crimping tools being sold as swaging tools. I can't post links because as a new member it won't let me!

My argument is that swaging is likely an umbrella term for all processes involving the use of a tool to alter the diameter of an end section of pipe; therefore a crimping tool is also a swaging tool.

My friend and colleague is convinced that the two are entirely separate and should not be referred to in the same instance.

This is only made more complicated by the existence of the sleeve-to-wire rope version of swaging, which is definitely ALSO called crimping.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you say only the traditional punch and die swages that we have traditionally called by the term count, or is crimping - being that it reduces the diameter of the end of a pipe - also a form of swaging?

Bonus question: What about flaring?

Let's settle this once and for all.

Thanks!

- E

Sponsored Links
Engineer speak (as I've always understood it....)
Swaging is the increase or reduction of the diameter of a tube, along part of its length. This is usually a cold working process.
Crimping is the reduction of the tube diameter to allow it to bite onto another tube - fixing taken place by the distortion of the secondary tubing.
Flaring is the outward tapering of a tube end (female flare) to allow a swivelling or leakproof connection onto a male flare of the same angle.
Standing by...... :p
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back