Swap radiator for towel rail in combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put a towel rail into our bathroom instead of the radiator. We have a combi boiler central heating system. Could anyone give me an idiot proof method for doing this?

I'm new to plumbing so please go easy on me!

Sponsored Links
try to find a towel rail with the same dimensions as the radiator you plan to replace (and tails in the same orientation)

Switch off the central heating and let it cool

Isolate the radiator by closing both the feed and return valves

Get loads of towels on the floor

Get a suitable recepticle for the water that is about to leave the old radiator

Drain the radiator down, with the draincock if fitted or by loosening the tails if not

remove the old radiator

Fit the new towel rail

Swih off the central heating

Open the rail bleed vavle

Open the feed valve

When the rail is full of water, close the bleed valve

Open the return (lockshield) valve

Check the system pressure and recharge if needs be

As you are new to plumbing, unless you feel really confident, i'd get a plumber in. For an expert this job can be done in a couple of hours with the heating side either still full or drained halfway.

Also don't think you'll find a towel rad with the same dimensions so you will prob have to alter the pipework.

But if you want a go. Switch off your combi and find out where the drain off for your heating supply is. Its usually located at the lowest point in the system. As you are new i'd drain down the whole system to prevent any unexpected floods!! Open some rad bleed screws to help the system run out

Once the heating side is empty and dry - remove your old bathroom radiator and the old rad brackets.

Mark out where you want your new towel rad to go. Make sure everything is level for the towel rad brackets. Drill and screw the towel rad holders to the wall. Add the tails and valves and remember to use plenty of PTFE. Hang the rad and mark up for your pipes. I use chrome pipe to match- dont try and solder or use pushfit to this!!-compression only. Refit your heating flow and return but dont put your floorboards back yet.

Tighten up all rad bleed screws and refill the heating system slowly. Stop and check for any leaks. If youve used compression and find any just 'nip' them up. Bleed your rads and continue filling via your combi filling loop until youre up to 1.5 bar. Run your heating system and again walk around checking for any leaks. Then you can put back any floorboeards youve removed.

See -- easy peasy :D

Add inhibitor via the bleed valve at the top and tighten up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back