Swapping radiator for thicker model - how can I extend the pipes to reach the new rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new heating system fitted last year and the plumber put a weedy type 11 in the room that struggles to heat it. I was going to replace it with a thicker type 21. While I can fit new brackets to the wall, I'm unsure how to extend the radiator pipes.

Currently the existing radiator is 41mm from the wall to the pipe centre, while the new radiator is 71mm from wall to pipe centre.

There's not really enough flex to bend the pipes to reach, so what can I do to easily resolve this without new pipes being fitted? Wondering if I can "bodge" some compression connections to make it reach? See attached pictures of the current setup.

Attachments

• 16991741822966822831231470070792.jpg
    16991741822966822831231470070792.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 16991742043787197050915875917290.jpg
    16991742043787197050915875917290.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
We could probably make the pipework fit but in your case maybe drain down cut the feeds on horizontal section and use straight connectors and 'lean' the valves a bit more.
Use whatever strait connector you happy with tectite classic would work well.

If you can live with the look or don't mind sleeving it and painting the rest of the pipe these should get you there,

Personally I'd be cutting and reworking the current pipework with solder ring fittings if your not confident enough to solder end feed.

If you can live with the look or don't mind sleeving it and painting the rest of the pipe these should get you there,

Personally I'd be cutting and reworking the current pipework with solder ring fittings if your not confident enough to solder end feed.
That looks interesting, but not sure I understand what would need painting afterwards?

Sponsored Links
Personally the ribbed parts of the flexible copper pipe on show would drive me nuts so I'd want to either sleeve with white heatshrink and paint the rest of the pipe white to match or paint the whole lot.

You may not be bothered by the appearance of the flexi pipe so no painting would be required

Currently the existing radiator is 41mm from the wall to the pipe centre, while the new radiator is 71mm from wall to pipe centre.

My take on this, is that it's only 30mm difference, and both pipes run some distance, before they connect to the radiator. That suggests that if the pipe clips are released, there will be more than enough give to allow for the 30mm difference. If the width of the new is the same as the old, it will fit just fine without any modification of the pipe, just insert some timber blocks behind the pipe clips/brackets.

My take on this, is that it's only 30mm difference, and both pipes run some distance, before they connect to the radiator. That suggests that if the pipe clips are released, there will be more than enough give to allow for the 30mm difference. If the width of the new is the same as the old, it will fit just fine without any modification of the pipe, just insert some timber blocks behind the pipe clips/brackets.
Thanks for the reply! I've yet to buy the radiator as I wanna be certain it'll fit/work, but I did debate if it could adjust without too much hassle. My main concern was the lockshield end as it's very close to a T piece so might not move enough.

Might just commit, but it and see if I can make it fit (but have an alternative to hand in case it doesn't)

Another thing to look at is your current brackets, if they are fitted with the longer side perpendicular to the wall then with a new rad you may be able to fit the smaller side perpendicular meaning the rad will be closer to the wall and hopefully nearer the pipework.n

Only downside is not as much space at the rear of rad for heat to get out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back