switch to direct mains pressure water causing banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A plumber recently removed my loft cold water storage tank and switched our water supply from indirect to direct mains pressure. All well and good but when i flush the downstairs toilet the pipes leading into the cistern rattle and shake like no tomorrow.

It's an old toilet downstairs and i'm worried the shaking pipes may burst with the violent banging.

Any ideas or help on how to stop the pipes shaking?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the toilet have a isolating valve? If so try turning it down, so it's almost off.

Maybe If the toilet was a low pressure ball valve, it's reacting this way to the high pressure.

I think it is a low pressure ball valve. When the cistern is filling up the pipe starts to shake, then stops once it's full up.

Sponsored Links
Change it for a high-pressure valve and the banging should stop. Might just need the seat replacing

I would question the competence of any plumber who changes a system to an HP one WITHOUT changing LP float valves for HP ones.

Dont they teach these kind of things on the plumbing NVQs?

In any case doing that usually causes LP float valves to leak and drip from the warning pipe.

Tony

Great, i'll change the low pressure valve for a high pressure one. any tips on where to get one, or any particular type to look out for (or avoid!).

It will say on the box.

Most can be used for both, by just changing the valve inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back