Switch Wire

web

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone explain how the switch wire works.
I am putting downlighters in my bathroom and have three wires coming from the original light. Two Blacks and a Red. The Blacks were connected together at the original light. I have been told that one of the black wires is the switch wire but I can\\\'t understand how this works.
I have connected up my downlighters by looping in series and it works fine.. keeping the two blacks connected.
Just want to know what exactly the switch wire is doing.
PS. I HAVE connected an earth wire to the downlighter. I know how that works...

Thanks.. :confused:

Sponsored Links
sticky for refernce (its amazing what you can find if you look / search)

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the way your lighting was wired originally was not 'the norm'. (and many houses arn't!). You have connected it back correctly for your setup. Always note what was where and you will be fine!

Thanks....all.

I found the reference drawings and I now know what is ment by the switch wire.

As I want to put in a PIR I'll need to use my DVM to check out exactly which wire is the switch wire.

Could it be possible that I do not have a switch wire?

If you have no switch, and the light is on all the time, yes....

PS:
web said:
I am putting downlighters in my bathroom
You are aware of Part P of the Building Regs, are you?

web said:
Please can someone explain how the switch wire works.
I am putting downlighters in my bathroom and have three wires coming from the original light. Two Blacks and a Red. The Blacks were connected together at the original light. I have been told that one of the black wires is the switch wire but I can\\\'t understand how this works.
I have connected up my downlighters by looping in series and it works fine.. keeping the two blacks connected.
Just want to know what exactly the switch wire is doing.
PS. I HAVE connected an earth wire to the downlighter. I know how that works...

Thanks.. :confused:

Are you sure you don't mean that you wired them in parallel? :confused:

Also, isn't it slightly unusual to switch the neutral?

Are you sure you don't mean that you wired them in parallel?

:oops: Yes you are correct... it was parallel. Just checked referance drawings.

Also, isn't it slightly unusual to switch the neutral?

Yes this wiring is not the norm. This is why I'm not sure which wire is doing the switching. I will get my DVM onto these wires tonight and provide an update.

For the PIR I need... switch live/live/neutral

I have made sure that all the downlighters are of the correct standard for each zone.

Thanks again..

web said:

I have made sure that all the downlighters are of the correct standard for each zone.

Thanks again..
Err - there's more to it than that and whatever you read about it here or on other fora you really should understand it and make your own decisions concerning what you do about it.....

Err - there's more to it than that and whatever you read about it here or on other fora you really should understand it and make your own decisions concerning what you do about it.....

Not sure if they apply to Scotland but I will check what the current standard is. I will also get a qualified spark to check the work I have done as I know this is a requirment in Scotland.
Thanks..

OK... :confused:

The red wire is live and is switched. It comes through the two way switch. This is all that is going through the switch.
The blacks are both neutral.

Looks like my PIR idea is out unless I take another live un-switched feed
up to my ceiling.

Being told that the black was switched has caused me all the confusion.

Thanks for all your inputs....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back