switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upstairs / downstairs landing / hall lighting. two circuits.

i have a 2 gang switch downstairs and another upstairs. the two switches are connected with a 3 core and earth.

is it possible to connect them so that i, from upstairs, can turn the light on, individually, upstairs and downstairs... and the same from downstairs?

if it is, how?

thanks for any help

rgds, peter

split from hi-jacked post

Sponsored Links
no with only 3 wires between the switch positions its not possible

sorry

How much knocking about of the house are you willing to do? Traditionally you need two switches downstairs and two upstairs. Then you need two 3-core and earth wires going between them. I doubt you can put in an extra one by just feeding it through the same way as the existing one. Is there any route you can use which will not cause unacceptable damage?

I'm curious - why have you got switches connected to each other with 3C+E if it's not 2-way switching?

Sponsored Links
from what he desribes afaict he has two way swqitching for the upstairs lights but not the downstairs ones and he wants it for both

I have resigned my self to having a single switch both upstairs and downstairs. both lights go on and off at the same time. hopefully that is not a problem when they are on different circuits.

thanks to all for their replies. much appreciated.

rgds,
peter

If the hall and landing lights are going on and off together then they aren't on different circuits.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back