switchmaster 3 port mid replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can a switchmaster 3 port mid valve be replaced with a sunvic 3 port momo? if so can anyone advise on the wiring as the switchmaster has 6 wires and the momo only has 4.

Sponsored Links
yeh should be fine, assuming the sunvic is just the normal spring return type, also assuming you will be altering the pipework to suit as those stupid switchmasters are ar53 about face. You'll basically have 1 wire too many as one of the missing wires is earth. The other reduntant wire is the CH off wire but can't remember colour, might be red, but years since I've seen one of these. I'm assuming you've also got the switchmaster wiring centre as well, that will have to go, replace with standard wiring center and rewire, should keep you busy working out which wires are what, a multimeter will come in handy. Its perfectly do able but a good electrical understanding required

I would assume that as the OP has said it will be a Sunvic MoMo it will not be a sprung return valve.

I don't know what the switchmaster is (sprung or not), but if it is then look at a Honeywell 4043.

I would assume that as the OP has said it will be a Sunvic MoMo it will not be a sprung return valve.

I don't know what the switchmaster is (sprung or not), but if it is then look at a Honeywell 4043.

yeh missed that :) the switchmaster is motor open/close, but it is a strange beast of its own design. The only way around it is to replace valve and wiring centre, re-pipe and re-wire. Used to loads of these on an estate back in my BG days, got it down to 2 hours at one point. Probably about 3 now as I'd have to work out all the wiring again, the daft wiring centre doesn't label what is what, and all the ones I had before had wires coming in through the wall. Helpful!

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be changed for any spring return 3 port valve. Ive based this on a Honeywell replacement.....

The last one I changed (in 2001 so colours are sketchy) was...

HONEYWELL: Orange = SWITCHMASTER: Orange & Red
H: Grey = S: White
H: White = S: Yellow
Neutral & Earth - obviously the same

No need to re-pipe, just get your head around the wiring and renew the connections.

Paul

mickyg";p="1252452 said:
gassafeman";p="1252441 said:
No need to re-pipe

:confused: :confused: you sure? maybe you've seen a different type to me. All the ones I've dealt with have been like the picture below
oh and you can't just switch the wires, as it doesn't work properly with the wiring centre....again you may have seen a different type to me..

View media item 12257

Ive only ever done 10 or so. Your picture replicates the real old Dratons installed in the 70's. If the Switchmaster's were designed like that Ive never seen one. Now that was a JOB! Total re-wire of the CHS! :evil:

The only ones I have dealt with (blue head) have the usual 3-port configuration - hence no re-piping.

I re-wired on the basis of a Honeywell:
White = Heating 'on'
Grey = Hot Water 'off'
Orange - Boiler & Pump 'live'

thanks for all the replies guys
the switchmaster(blue case) is a synchronous motor on/motor off same as the sunvic momo, didn't have to repipe just cut the olives off as the old switchmaster is bs thread and not metric, sunvic went in perfect
still can't sort the wiring though as you said wiring box is not marked
have to buy a continuity meter

cheers guys

thanks for all the replies guys
the switchmaster(blue case) is a synchronous motor on/motor off same as the sunvic momo, didn't have to repipe just cut the olives off as the old switchmaster is bs thread and not metric, sunvic went in perfect
still can't sort the wiring though as you said wiring box is not marked
have to buy a continuity meter

cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back