Swop flat roof for pitched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a very old thatched cottage which has a single story extension on the back. It has a flat roof which is coming to the end of its useful life so I am considering doing away with the flat roof and building on a pitched roof with a covering of slates. Are there any regulations I should be aware of? the pitch will be quite shallow which is why I thought slates would give the quickest run off? :confused:

Any advise gratefully recieved. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
just how shallow is the roof pitch?

building control will want a squint at the roof carcass, and you may need planning permission for the roof too.
is the building grade listed?

Hi, thanks for reply. The roof, which is a leanto style will have a 2 feet drop over a 8 feet 6 inch width approx. What that equates to in terms of percentage fall I have no idea unfortunately.

I was hoping that Council would not need to be involved, mainly because they always seem to want to make a small job so complex and expensive for the fees they want, and then I would have to have plans drawn up which means another huge bill. But if needs must I suppose I had better tow the line. But any other advise would be most appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
you will have a 13.25 degree pitch.

you are very limited in the choice of roof tiles unfortunately.

marley wessex for example only go down to 15 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back