T & G floorboard repair

C

Coniferman

I have this in the bathroom which is carpeted. (I know yuk, It needs a complete refit before long)

In the meantime, there has been rework in the past resulting in a cut/join between two pieces of the floorboards. (the big square ones)

It's not a huge problem but there is slight movement where the two pieces are not joined to each other, if I stand in the wrong place.

I know a proper fix, would probably be to cut out a hole and then fix a piece of wood underneath screwed to both pieces and then replace the cut out. The t&g goes under walls etc.

Is there some other quick fix that might work. The gap is only maybe 2mm so I don't know if some sort of glue would work or something else wedged in. Or some other fix?

Sponsored Links
Polyurethane expanding wood glue? It's a cross between expanding foam and wood glue. Fills small gaps, and is water proof. Moisten the area first with a fine spray, squidge a bit of glue it, leave it alone to set/expand for 30 mins. Looks a bit like tree sap when in the bottle

Nozzle

I think Nozzle refers to p4 glue, it will not prevent the floor flexing if unsupported though.

Or was that "D4"? Either way glue, expanding or not doesn't replace a proper repair job as Foxhole says
Also worth the OP noting that when you glue stuff together with any glue (D4, polyurethane or otherwise) that there is NO strength in a joint which has gaps in it. Wood joints need to be fairly good before glues get applied

Sponsored Links
I re-read the problem some kind of joint defo required - a dowel arrangement?

Nozzle

I re-read the problem some kind of joint defo required - a dowel arrangement?
In general if you get a piece of flooring which has dropped like it tends to indicate that the problem is one of lack of support. All I'd do is lift the offending piece (if absolutely necessary cut it out), add (i.e. nail or screw) some support battens or noggins to or between the joists at the joints as needed, and if necessary some shim stock to level the floor through, then fix it back down. No glue involved and certainly no dowels. Simple ten minute job in the main

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back