T hinges on outside of external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fit a replacement single external door to a small brick outbuilding attached to my properly.

The door needs to open outwards.

I am planning on buying a ledged and braced door.

Is it bad practice to attach t hinges to the front face of a ledged and braced door that opens outwards? I have seen this done on wooden sheds so am assuming it would look OK.

Or can you get t hinges that are fitted on the inside of the door and open outwards?

I guess there could be a security risk as potentially the hinges could be removed externally?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated.

Please can I just clarify:

The gap between the two brick sides is 730 mm
The closest fitting door I can find is 686 wide (Travis Perkins)

So I am thinking I will put a baton on the hinged wall side of say 30 mm and a another on the latch side of say 15mm.

If attach the t hinge to the 30 mm baton, can I attach it to the inside face of the baton (and so concealed) rather than the outside facing side of the baton?

Apologies, bit of a novice with carpentry!

you really need to attach wood to a wooden frame as all the furniture[hinges locks and bolts ]often need a flat face and to be recessed in
if this is a standard house door which is 762/2ft six which it sounds like it goes in a frame
if its a gate type door it has a say 50mm post each side
do not buy from travis perkins unless you get a 50% discount diy or 60-70% trade to get a fair price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back